NEW ENGLAND REGIONAL RANKINGS:
Posting this set of rankings on all (6) New England State Forums for next (4) Days and hoping for help/input with notable wins on ranked wrestlers below or a weight class change. Will be posting these as a Midseason “New England Regional Rankings” and will be going on National site shortly after. Also will feature an end of the year Ranking with more content, hoping to increase exposure to the region. Please update with any ranked wins or national accomplishments.
These rankings pulled every returning NE Placer, New England Qualifier and All-State Placer from ALL (6) states (MA, CT, RI, NH, ME, VT). These rankings consider recent results, national tournament success, and postseason accomplishments. This is an overall preview of each weight as well as a quick breakdown of the top 3 schools within the NE Title Team Race.
I will am thinking about adding some additional content to this as well. Some ideas I am thinking about adding includes a top 20 P4P, Class Rankings and a more in depth write up of the team race and weight class breakdown.
Quick FYI: State Placer = All-State Placer in this write up since there are 6 different qualifying processes and avoids confusion on a larger scale when this is posted on a national site... So in MA, All-State Placer = “State Placer" & Placing at Divisional States = "State Qualifier"
106 1. Hunter Adrian - Melrose, MA 2. Travis Longo - Wilton, CT 3. Joziah Fry - Coventry, RI 4. Sam Wagner - Concord, NH 5. Ty Finn - Simsbury, CT 6. Tyler Johnson - Danbury, CT 7. Bryce Beebe - Bristol Eastern, CT 8. Tyler Knox - Pentucket, MA 9. Calvin Dalton - Salem, MA 10. Jack Ryan - Trumbull, CT
- This was by far the toughest weight to rank with most returners moving up in weight class. After the Top 4 there are a number of up & comers at this weight. It will be exciting to see how the rest of the field shapes up and I expect a bunch of new names to land on the end of the year ranking.
- Hunter Adrian is the clear cut #1 and the only returning NE placer at the weight.
- Longo is a solid #2 at the weight. He is currently ranked #1 in CT and is a returning State Placer
- Fry slots in as #3 at the weight and is returning NE qualifier and State Finalist
- Wagner of Concord is also a State Finalist and returning NE Qualifierx
113 1. Andrew Fallon - La Salle, RI 2. Jared Kosman - Fitch, CT 3. Hunter Verge - St Johnsbury, VT 4. Kyle Randall - Newton North, MA 5. Max Leete - Danvers. MA 6. Aiden Winn - Brockton, MA 7. Trevor Nugent - Masco, MA 8. Jonathan Austin - White Mountain, NH 9. Brady Folan - North Attleboro, MA 10. Noah Dumas - Cony, ME
- Fallon is the #1 ranked wrestler at this weight. He is an NHSCA All-American, State Champion and NE Placer. Fallon also had an amazing run at Super 32 making the blood round.
- Kosman slots in at #2 and will be a major threat for the title. He is an NHSCA All-American and a 2x NE Placer. Fallon and Kosman met last year twice at NE’s and they were battles, expect another one this year.
- Verge lands #3 fresh off an impressive Lowell Holiday Championship edging out #4 Randall in the finals. Verge is a returning State Champion and will be a name to watch come March.
- Randall and Leete slot in at #4 and #5, respectively. Both are State Placers and are talented wrestlers that will make a run come postseason. Randall upended Leete 4-3 in the Lowell Semi Finals which gives him the nod in the ranking. Randall also qualified for NE’s last season placing 3rd at States.
120 (Updated) 1. Ryan Jack - Danbury, CT 2. Jack Darling - Masco, MA 3. Chris Trelli - Bristol, CT 4. Alejandro Garcia - Windham, CT 5. Riley Millette - Windham, NH 6. Nate Williams - Bishop Hendrickson, RI 7. Brett Kappler - Timberlane, NH 8. Ben Smart - Ridgefield, CT 9. Brian Garry - Holliston, MA 10. Shamir Rai - Manchester Memorial, NH
- Ryan Jack leads this weight at #1 spot. His success on the mat is no secret to anyone in New England. Last year he made his name known advancing to the New England Finals. The returning All-American and State Champion will look to finish the job this year with a NE Title.
- Jack Darling of Masco is #2 at this weight. He is a 2x New England Placer and took 3rd at NHSCA Nationals last year also earning All-American status.
- Chris Trelli lands at #3 at 120 lbs. He is a Fargo Finalist and a returning NE placer.
- Garcia is a very solid #4 at the weight. He returns as NE qualifier placing 3rd last year at CT States. I can’t wait to see how this years CT State tournament pans out at this weight with 3 of the top 4 ranked wrestlers coming from this state.
New Note (after recent weekend results): #8 and #9 switch after head to head win. Smart over Garry.
126 (Updated) 1. Mel Ortiz - New Milford, CT 2. Keenan Taylor - Mt. Anthony, VT 3. Cole Wyman - Brockton, MA 4. Hayden Brown - Exeter, NH 5. Kyle Fields - Danbury, CT 6. Joey Valentino - North Andover, MA 7. Justin Mastroianni - New Cannon, CT 8. Conor Thompson - Quabbin, MA 9. Jac St. Jean - Goffstown, NH 10. Taylor Donovan - Timberlane, NH
- Interesting weight class here with a number of potential champions in the mix. Big question is; will Camacho come down from 132 lbs. And Fields make the switch to 132? This will drastically change the outlook of both weight classes. Either way, this weight class is loaded.
- Taylor of Mt. Anthony snags the #1 spot after he upset Cole Wyman (#2) in the Lowell Holiday finals. Taylor is a returning NE placer and has been wrestling all over the country this off season making some major strides.
- Cole Wyman comes in at #2 ranked wrestler at 126 lbs. He started the year at #1 but with the recent loss he has bumped down to #2 where he will look to avenge his this loss in March. Wyman is a returning 2x State Champion & 2x NE Placer taking 4th last season & 2nd the year prior.
- Hayden Brown moves over from the prep circuit and slots in nicely at #3 spot. The 2x Prep All-American is a stud and could very well land at the top of the podium this year.
- Fields of Danbury is a returning All-American and CT State Champion. Look for him to make some serious noise for the Hatters.
- Valentino of North Andover ranks at #5 for this weight with a beautiful run as the MA7 to 5th at NE’s showing the committee that the recent change for an additional MA/CT spot was a smart move. Some great wrestlers to follow including super Freshman Mastrioianni, who has been making splashes on the national circuit for the last few years. Thompson is another name to look out for as he is a 3x NE Qualifier/State Placer.
New Note (after recent weekend results): Ortiz drops down to 126 from 138 and is a new #1 at the weight. His recent 3rd at Eastern States was an impressive run including a head to head over Fields.
132 1. Jakob Camacho - Danbury, CT 2. Connor McGonagle, Timberlane, NH 3. Ryan Garlitz - Saint John’s Prep, MA 4. Seth Brown - Coventry, RI 5. Ramazan Attasauov - Wayland, MA 6. Sean Johnson - Ellis Tech, CT 7. Cesar Alvan - Ludlow, MA 8. Noah Call - Mt Anthony, VT 9. Tyler Glynn - Central Catholic, MA 10. Roman Mayer - Mt Abraham, VT
- Hands down the best weight class in NE. This one is tough to argue as the top 2 are Nationally ranked and are #1-2 P4P in NE, top 3 are All-Americans, and 6 of these wrestlers placed at NE’s last year. This weight is going to be absolute fireworks and worth the price of admission alone!
- #1 Camacho is the REAL DEAL. Currently ranked 2nd in the country, the NC State Commit will look to repeat as NE Champion this year. His accolades are unbelievable; Super 32 CHAMP, multiple time All-American (3rd at Fargo, 4th at NHSCA as a Soph), New England Champion & 2x Placer (3rd in 2016), and 2x CT State Champion… to name a few. This young man has a bright future ahead of him and will be a fun one to watch, in HS and in College.
- Rarely do you have the top 2 P4P Wrestlers in NE in the same weight class… This year we do. Connor McGonagle is an absolute stud and is also a Nationally ranked powerhouse coming in at #7 in the country! He is another one that his resume speaks for itself… Multiple time All-American including 3rd place finish at Super 32 & 2nd place finish at NHSCA Soph. Nationals. The year prior he was a National Champion and New England Finalist. He also was a New England Champion last season. Most recently he snagged another podium spot at Beast of the East finishing 3rd. Forget State or NE Title… Both Camacho and McGonagle have their eyes set on a National Title (HS & College).
- If anyone can look to knock off one of these two top dogs at the weight to make a finalist appearance at New England’s it’s these next few wrestlers (#3 - 6), they were also extremely tough to rank amongst each other as they all are extremely accomplished and deserving.
- Garlitz of SJP comes in at #3 in this loaded weight class. Garlitz is a returning New England Finalist and NHSCA All-American. He is also a 2x State Placer/NE Qualifier. Garlitz is another wrestler to look out for when it’s all said and done. Look for him on the P4P list as well.
- Returning State Champion and New England Placer Seth Brown ranks at #4 at this weight. Brown can win at any level and placed last year at NE’s in one of the strongest weights in the tournament.
- It is insane to me that someone like Ramazan Attasouv is coming in at #5 as he is one of MA’s finest and can absolutely shock some people and bracket bust this thing wide open. Attasouv is a TOUGH wrestler that is a threat from natural to anyone he crosses. He won a MA State Title last season at 126 lbs. He also placed 5th at New England's. He does have a head-to-head loss to #4 Brown when he wrestled him at Nationals which explains why he falls to #5.
- Sean Johnson comes in at #6 at the weight. He is a returning NE placer taking 3rd last year at 113 lbs. He was also a State Finalist in CT. Johnson will turn some heads this season and will look to make some serious waves at NE’s.
- The rest of the field is also dangerous and should not be overlooked. Alvan is a returning NE qualifier and had an impressive Lowell Holiday tournament knocking off #8 Call in the Consi Finals. #8 Call of Mt. Anthony is also a returning NE Placer and State Champion coming out of VT.
138 (Updated) 1. Tyler Sung - New Cannon, CT 2. Josh Lee - Burlington, MA 3. Samson Sirois - Skowhegan, ME 4. Sean Caltagairone - Coventry, RI 5. Sean Herbert - Melrose, MA 6. AJ Pagliarulo - Bedford, NH 7. Mahari Miller - Springfield Central, MA 8. Sam Lynch - Ponaganset, RI 9. Dylan Disano - Bishop Hendricken, RI 10. Demetre Carnot -Maloney, CT
- We already mentioned the toughest weight in New England. Now it’s time to review the DEEPEST weight in New England with unbelievable wrestlers found in this weight, top to bottom. A few early season upsets really shook up this weight class and it was an extremely challenging one to sift through. I feel that there are about 14-15 wrestlers at this weight that have the talent to win the whole weight. This will be the most exciting weight class to watch at NE’s from opening round through the finals.
- #1 at this weight is returning New England Finalist and MA State Champion Josh Lee. So far Lee has had an impressive season and is unbeaten. He comes fresh off a Lowell Holiday and will look to maintain his #1 ranking. Tyler Sung is also a New England Finalist and NHSCA All-American. Sung had an impressive run at NE’s last year defeating Attasouv in route to the finals as a CT2.
- Samson Sirois of Skowhegan is a returning New England Placer snagging 4th place last season. He is also a returning Maine State Champion and ranks 3rd at this weight. Caltagarione of Coventry RI comes in at #4 and is also a returning New England Placer. The Rhode Island State Champion was able to turn peoples heads last season but will have a very tough RI State bracket with Lynch and Disano.
- Demetre Carnot of Maloney CT has the early season upset that shook up these rankings when he upset All-American and returning NE Placer Ortiz 7-5. Carnot is also a NE Qualifier and CT State Placer.
- This is also a decision that I battled with for a long time (ranking 7-10) as Hebert of Melrose shook things up at Lowell with 2 big upsets en route to the finals. First he beat Marinelli who was a 4th placer at MA last season. He then went on to beat returning NH State Champion and New England Placer AJ Pagliarulo. Although in my state rankings I had Alexander (4th at MA States last season) higher then Herbert last week. I evaluated the significant wins and Herberts wins over an MA4 and a NE6 pushed this change. Miller also upset Pagliarulo but remains below Alexander due to a loss in the Championship side to an unranked wrestler.
- The field at this weight is something that should be noted as there are a number of wrestlers that didn’t even crack the top 10 that have the potential to make a run at New England’s. Sam Lynch (RI State Champion & 5-2 at Super 32), Ryan Angers (3rd in CT), Dylan Disano (2nd in RI), and Eddie Marinelli (4th in MA) to name a few… I have a sneaking suspicion this weight will cause the most conversation on the State forums and may be some changes before posting Nationally.
New Notes (After recent results): Tons of shifts in this weight due to Ortiz dropping and some other results. Lee and Sung swap after Sung takes 3rd 138 lbs. @ Eastern States and Lee DNP in same bracket (both NE Finalist). New Names emerge in the weight. Alexander drops off after recent loss in Woburn finals. Putnam, SJP, Angers and Marinelli are all on cusp.
145 1. Alan Kovacs - Danbury, CT 2. Shaun Wagner - Southington, CT 3. Peyton Cole - Ellsworth, ME 4. Evan Goodall - Chelmsford, MA 5. Cole McGill - Ponaganset, RI 6. Joey Sanchez - Central Catholic MA 7. Dylan Musgrave - Timberlane, NH 8. Cameron McClure - Alvrine, NH 9. Julien Hovan - Merrimack, NH 10. Brian Lindsey - Kingswood, NH
- Luckily this weight is a little more straight forward. Kovacs comes in as the favorite at this weight. Kovacs is a returning National Finalist (Freshman NHSCA) and New England Placer (3rd). The Sophomore is already turning heads nationally and will be a force this season.
- Wagner of Southington CT comes in at #2 after an impressive Lowell Holiday’s where he knocked of 2 New England Placers (#3 & #4).
- Peyton Cole of Ellsworth Maine snags the #3 spot. He is a returning State Champion and New England Placer (4th at 152 lbs. last year).
- Goodall is a solid #4 as he is a returning MA State Finalist, NE Placer and Freshman All-American last season.
- New Hampshire will have a fun State tournament as a number of quality wrestlers will be battling for the 3 qualifying spots. Lindsey is a returning NE placer, Hovan and Musgrave are returning State Finalists, and McClure recently beat Hovan (who beat Lindsey)
152 1. Ryan Luth - Foran CT 2. Devin Rivet - Bishop Hendricken, RI 3. Samuel Kury - Montville, CT 4. Cooper Fleming - Granby Memorial, CT 5. Tyler Burgess - Mt Anthony, VT 6. Jeremy Sendrowski - Scarborough, ME 7. CJ Cincotta - North Andover, MA 8. Jeffrey Sushana - Somers, CT 9. Quinton Richards - Nokimis, ME 10. Tegan Welch - Southington, CT
- This weight will be another fun weight to watch as the field seems wide open. The top 2 are seem to be separated from the pack but getting on the podium (3rd - 6th) at NE’s will be anyone's game.
- Ryan Luth comes in as the #1 ranked wrestler at this weight. He is a returning State Champion out of CT and a New England Champion. Luth has had a ton of success on the national circuit as well. This past spring he was able to accomplish All-American honors at NHCSA Nationals placing top 5.
- Rivet of Bishop Hendricken RI is another wrestler that will be pushing for a New England Title. Rivet is a returning New England placer and RI State Champion. Rivet has the type of talent that can excel on the next level if he so chooses to continue his career in college.
- Kury and Fleming come in at #3 & #4 respectively. Both are returning CT state placers and are talented wrestlers. Fleming had a big Lowell tournament capturing the title and knocking of returning NE Placer (#5) Burgess of Mt. Anthony. Burgess will need to come up big here if Mt. Anthony hopes to push for a team title.
160 (Updated) 1. Lucas Cordio - Nashoba, MA 2. Ahmad Shariff - Putnam, MA 3. Michael Barrett - Bristol Eastern, CT 4. Dawson Stevens - Oxford, ME 5. Izaake Zuckerman - Fairfield Warde, CT 6. Tristen Cabinta - Salem, NH 7. Michael Angers - Tolland, CT 8. Kyle Gora - Alvrine, NH 9. Marc Boomhower - Campbell, NH 10. Dakota Peters - Rutland, VT
- Great weight class all around. Has top level talent as well as a loaded field. Few great names that didn’t even make the list due to the depth in this weight.
- 2x All American and 2x New England Placer (2nd & 3rd) leads this weight class. Lucas Cordio out of Nashoba MA is the real deal and will be the favorite this year.
- Ahmad Shariff from Putnam MA comes in at #2 at the weight. He is a returning NE placer and a MA State Champion. Ahmad made a jump in these rankings lately with a HUGE win over returning NE Placer #3 Michael Barrett. This win vaulted him to the #2 and continues to show that this potential State Final at 160 lbs could be the most intriguing matchup in MA.
- Barrett took 3rd at New England's last season and comes in at #3. Dawson Stevens slots in right behind him at #4. The Maine native took 4th at New England's last season.
- Great group of talented wrestlers follow including Zuckerman who recently had a very impressive Lowell tournament downing some great wrestlers in route including Reyes (Dedham, MA), super Freshman #7 Gora and #10 Berube in the finals.
- Angers, Gora, Boomhower, Peters and Berube all have the talent to shake up this bracket come New England’s.
New Notes (after recent results): Cabinta dropping to 160 really shakes things up. I slotted the 2x All-American at #6 after the change.
170 (Updated) 1. Paul Calo - Southington, CT 2. Ryan Devivo - Xavier, CT 3. Gino Baratta - Danbury, CT 4. Joe Vecchione - Chelmsford, MA 5. Dan Curran - Conval, NH 6. Tim Ramstrom - Natick, MA 7. Sam Anderson - Sanford, ME 8. Anders Klass - Braintree, MA 9. Isaac Gladley - Concord, NH 10. Dylan Strong - Marshwood, ME
- The most loaded upper weight class in New England. Great wrestlers here with a stacked field and 2 Top P4P wrestlers at the top!